Slow cooker Carnitas (about 2-3 cups, shredded)
2 cups shredded cheddar or combo cheddar and jack cheese
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 hot chili peppers of your choice (jalapenos are good!)
1 cup cooked white or brown rice
2 packages refrigerated pie dough (4 rounds)
1 cup of salsa verde
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper, set aside.
- Roughly chop or shred carnitas, add to a large bowl.
- Sautee onions and chilis, add to bowl.
- Mix in rice, cheese and salsa, stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water, set aside.
- Roll pie crust out on a lightly floured surface. Use a 4 inch biscuit cutter or bottom of a glass to cut 5-6 dough rounds. Evenly space dough on baking trays. Repeat with remaining pie crusts.
- Spoon desired amount of filling onto a round. Brush edge with egg wash. Fold round in half over filling, pinch edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough rounds. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
- Makes roughly 20 empanadas